DB bloat?

jda jda at his.com
Sat Dec 31 09:02:00 CST 2005

>Only from one field to another ?
>
>He do this copy manually? Or your app have such feature ?

No, several fields. Yes, my app has a "move field" command.

>Well, if you delete some BLOB value which is in the middle of BLOB file,
>Then its space still live, and will be REUSED future.
>
>So I can see that if you delete one BLOB records and copy them into new BLOB
>records this can cause in worse case 2 times grow.
>
>We plan yet that Compact method is able collect such empty space in BLOB
>fields.

I don't think that could account for 14 -> 162 MB. And don't forget
that export/import of the data (not via XML, but simply my routines)
preserves the blob fields as they were. Yet, the db returned to 14
MB. So, the increase in size had to be due to something OTHER than
the actual data stored in the database.

Jon