What to expect from Valentina Cocoa?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Dec 9 18:57:26 CST 2005

On 12/9/05 6:41 PM, " Philip Mötteli" <philip.moetteli at econophone.ch> wrote:

>>> Well, I ask differently: Are something like faults used?
>>
>> Justin?
>>
>> Shame on me, I do not know yet what is faults.
>
> Let's say, object A references object B (object B is an IVar of
> object A). Instead of the persistence layer loading object B from DB,
> when object A is accessed, it just creates a placeholder/proxy/fault
> and places that object instead of object B.

> When now object B is  really accessed, then the fault fires and triggers the
> the real object B.
>
> This all is of course transparent to the user of such a  persistence library.
> The user never knows, if he deals with a  transient or a persistent object.

I see. Well..

Philip, it seems you tend to think in terms of CoreData and EOF :-)

I wonder, have you work before CoreData was born with such DBMS as
MySQL, Postgre, MS SQL, Sybase, ... ?

Valentina is JUST a DATABASE. Valentina do not have any persistence layers
which hide something from your eyes.

-----------
Valentina give you cursors and tables.
- You SELF control when load record and which record to load.

Persistent layer you describe, also is idea of OO DBMS.

They also claim:

    C++/Java/SmalTalk developer work with C++/Java/... Objects
    and collections. Developer even do not see that they go to disk,
    and so on.

IMHO this is not so cool. A lots of overhead and efforts required to
implement this. RDBMS (including Valentina) do not have such headache.

I believe that develop should explicitly see and know when he READ from
disk, or when he load some info from remote server.