[ANN] V4RB and VServer 2.0.5 fc14 mac

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Tue Aug 30 00:41:28 CDT 2005

On 8/30/05 12:31 AM, "Charles Yeomans" <yeomans at desuetude.com> wrote:

>> --------
>> API way with Vserver is something new we try to implement...
>>
>> What exactly you must not do with API way + Vserver is to use this on
>> internet.
>>
>> API way has very complex and reach protocol of talk. API way send many small
>> commands between server and client.
>>
>> IT LOOKS that this have sense to use only on fast networks, i.e. Local
>> networks.
>>
>> Working on this during last months, we have realize that the protocol we use
>> now is not the best for such complex task. But we cannot change it right now,
>> until we get stable release and catch a couple of weeks to change it and
>> build new mechanism. This will not affect your code, only our internal tasks.
>>
>> Again, this is just to get you more info what is going on..
>
> Yes, this is a handy tip.  My other code using API way has been
> working, though.

Look, I just try to say:

    we have meet unexpectable complicity in implementation
    of API way with client-server.

Just too many objects/classes:
    table, fields, sets, links, index styles, collators, ...

And too many methods that bring each class.

Comparing to SQL way with only 3 classes, API Way is about 10 times harder
and bigger.

So you can have a lots of methods working, but one ops, is wrong.
Igor write more and more tests to add guaranty that it works.

And I think that right after 2.0.5 release Igor will start redo protocol for
vserver...

---
Exists such terms: thing client and FAT client.

MySQL, postgre and vserver 1.x did have thing client.

Vserver 2.0 have become into FAT.
It seems MS and Borland also have FAT clients.

May be there is sense split Valentina client in 2 things...
And provide thing (SQL only) and fat clients (SQL + API + Classes)