VServer Class Way Success and Problems

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Aug 6 22:18:08 CDT 2005

On 8/6/05 10:05 PM, "Bob Keeney" <bkeeney at everestkc.net> wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2005, at 1:59 PM, Igor Gomon wrote:
>
>> I need code snippet from you that reproduces the problem.
>> Because I definitely know that this must work.
>> May be you provided wrong cursor mode when building it? Must be
>> kServerSide, kReadWrite.
>
> That would be it then.  I was doing client side.
>
> Silly question.  Why can't I update a client side cursor?  I do this
> in VB and SQL Server/Access all the time.

Really?

Hard to say...this was our understanding how it should work.
And we do this in this way 2 years...

MySQL for example absolutely cannot update cursors - recordsets.
Actually they name this as result...
You need always use UPDATE command for mySQL.

Postgre in contrast have ServerSide cursors only. But cursors of Postgre are
at SQL level, you need do SQL commands to manage their cursors.

---------------
We have as client side cursors similar to mySQL, so serverSide cursors which
are more comfortable imho than Postgre have.

MS have probably very FAT client, which can do even more ...
Well, may be future we will also add that.

I have remember now... yes we have discuss MS style.
But we have decide this is too complex yet for us.

Cursor that you describe must collect data modifications,
Then send all changes in batch to server...

Somebody from our team also have mention cursors that can be off-line,
I.e. Disconnected from server, then on connect send changes..Such cursors
have or MS or Borland...

Yep, sooner or later we also need improve this.