DRAFT of specification if Indexing By words for strings.

jda jda at his.com
Wed Sep 22 09:00:15 CDT 2004

>* So we should have something as:
>
>     class IndexStrPrefs
>
>     db.CreateIndexStrPrefs( name )      // error: name not unique
>

>     IndexStrPrefs.name
>     IndexStrPrefs.IgnoreLength
>     IndexStrPrefs.IgnoreWordsCount
>
>     IndexStrPrefs.AddWord( String )
>     IndexStrPrefs.DeleteWord( String )
>     IndexStrPrefs.DeleteAllWords
>

>     Vstring.UseIndexPrefs( prefsName )
>

>* after changes of prefs, EXISTED index must be rebuild.
>

>* also it needs to invent how to store this in the .vdb file.
>     I do not like idea of putting this into system tables.
>     it can blow out number of records.
>

>     Aha, no.
>
>     we will make new element, and words we will store into ValueText field.
>     in the format
>             aaa bbbb ccc dddd eeee ...
>

>Looks to be very flexible. And in future we will be able extend number of
>options of parameters of IndexStrPrefs.

I think the ability to let developers specify certain index
properties would be very powerful, and I'm sure that many other uses
would be found for this (other than my issue about sorting). One
minor point, since you would want this to be extensible, would be to
name the methods something like this: .AddIgnoreWord,
.DeleteIgnoreWord, and .DeleteAllIgnoreWords.

Thanks for delving into this so much...

Jon