Sorting compound names

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Wed Sep 22 14:21:19 CDT 2004

>>>  But what difference?
>>>
>>>  IF one of these words is inside of ingore list then we skip it.
>>>  Hyphen always is skipped
>>>

>>  I mean the sorting. If hyphen is skipped it means that both a and b
>>  are the same case of a last name with two words, right?
>
>Well, here important to note.
>
>Index By words -- cannot be sorted.
>
>I did think that if last names always have
>
>     prefix Name
>
>Then if we ignore prefix then Name is the only word,
>And we get simple Index String, which we can sort.

Names is a messy business. Also prefix can be multiple words (like in
'van der Waals') but that would not cause trouble as both can be
excluded.

Since Jon does not need to sort the whole database but only the
subset selected by the user, he might be better of to build a
sortable list in his environment, excluding the prefixes as
specified, and sort them outside Valentina.

At least this is what I am planning to do for the publication
database I am preparing to work on myself.

Robert