Sorting compound names

jda jda at his.com
Sat Sep 18 15:14:29 CDT 2004

>What about this:
>
>You make 2 fields:
>
>     prefix
>     LastName
>

>If syrname is
>
>     von Something
>
>You split it in 2 fields.
>If there is no name then prefix is empty.
>
>So when you show to user you build string using 2 fields.
>
>And you use the second filed to sort.
>
>In case exists also suffixes, then you create third field.

Hm, interesting. But in my case the names are not in individual
fields, but listed in one field (separated by returns).

What about this -- can this be done in 2.x?

1. Get a cursor.
2. Find/replace every occurrence of a "forbidden" word (list provided
by the user) in the name field (e.g. find "von " and replace with "").
3. Sort the cursor by that field...

Or is this something that can/should be done with temporary tables?

Jon