Case and sorting/searching

jda jda at his.com
Fri Sep 17 10:30:58 CDT 2004

>So, you have
>
>* field
>
>* index it as case-insensitive and by words.
>
>* and you need it also sort case-insensitive.
>     so we cannot use above index, because it is by words.
>
>Then yes, you will need method.
>Its index will be used for sorting.
>

>* in the future I need add algorithm of sorting without index at all.
>   then only you will be able avoid this SortMethod.
>   on the other hand it will be not indexed. So it can be slower.
>   may be in some cases this will be acceptable.

That would probably be just fine for me, anyway, as long as the sort
can be made case-insensitive.

It seems I must also use this sort method in the query itself, right
(e.g. select id,hit,authorsMethod from authors...)? Otherwise, it
seems I can't use the ORDER BY authorsMethod without getting an error.

Jon