V4RB, Jon, project /// More explanation.

jda jda at his.com
Wed Sep 15 17:30:58 CDT 2004

>  >> I suggest that 50 always means bytes, and if you want to store 50
>>>  UTF-16 characters that you declare a VString of [100]
>>
>>  Agreed; that would be much more consistent.
>
>I still do not think so.

You make the final decision, of course. But as you said, we are *all*
developers on this list and would prefer to deal with bytes, not
characters. I assure you that if you mix the meaning of the number
parameter as a function of the type of encoding there will be lots of
problems (both with existing users and new users). And what happens
to existing data space if you change the encoding? Why create this
headache?

Jon