[ANN] V4MD_WIN 2.0 beta 15 uploaded

Igor Gomon giv at tlc.kherson.ua
Fri Sep 10 12:25:52 CDT 2004

>>Yes, Igor have found my mistake why it did not show.
>>Actually we can build and upload 1.10 with this fix.
>
> That would be fabulous - I know there are other Director developers who
> rely on this menu as a memory prompt for specific commands and for
> syntax/parameter hints.
We already upload V4MD_Client a65 which already contains the fix.
But V4MD local not yet updated.

> Yes. I've spent most of the day working through the example files seeing
> what's there to be learned from. I'm *very* impressed by what you've been
> able to achieve! Congratulations.
We are glad to hear it!

> While most of them work really well, there are some problems with a few of
> the examples - perhaps you could ask Igor to revisit them:
> 1). SQL_way | Records_AddDeleteUpdate fails when you delete a record and
> then try the last, first or iterate record commands. I think this is
> because the example uses the API way of deleting a record (
> gDb.table["person"].deleteRecord() ) instead of what perhaps should have
> been gCursor.deleteRecord() - it works if I make this change to the
> source, implying that mixing SQL and API approaches shouldn't be done.
Yes - this is the error. Should be:
    gCursor.deleteRecord()

> It would seem the cursor instance has a "record" of its records and if one
> is deleted via the API the cursor isn't "auto-updated" leading to errors
> when iterating. Probably a known no-no, but worth over-emphasizing in the
> docs.

> 2). Both of the Method_create examples (API and SQL ways) fail as they
> seem incomplete and appear to use an older syntax (perhaps from the
> previous beta).
Oops! It's may be. I'll check.

> 3). SQL_way | Binding example doesn't appear to update the bound bitmap
> cast member's picture when iterating records (the example could be
> improved by adding this cast member to the stage so that - when this
> command works - the user will see it change).
Actually - it should be on the stage - then this is my error.

> Also, it would be good *not* to add the dross from your CVS system into
> the zip file :-) It might have been interesting poking around your
> repositories but ultimately it's a waste of space.
Of course, they should not appear in the .zip file :-)
So we will remove them from the next build.

> Finally, why not think about pre-pending example names with the order they
> should be worked through, from basic concepts to more advanced. For
> example:
> SQL_way
>         01 Table_CreateDrop
>         05 Binding | 05 Pictures
> Although I'm not sure what order these should be in, it seems to me it
> would help ease in new users if the first example folder isn't -
> accidentally - the most complicated concept!
I think this makes sence, do you Ruslan?

> I'm still working through the API_way | Link_ examples and won't be able
> to get back to them now for a couple of days, unfortunately, but I've done
> some tidying/rationalization on the files I've touched and would be happy
> to pass them back if it would be useful?
Yes, you can send them back to me or to Ruslan.

> Also, is there a reason a reference is stored to an un-instantiated xtra
> (Valentina) instead of invoking its .new() method and then calling methods
> on the instance? Or a reason these commands aren't "global" any longer? It
> looks more like it's being treated as a static class and I've never seen
> an xtra referred to like this.
Yes, Valentina is a Xtra with all methods made static because it can be
only one per process ("singletone" in OO terms).
Idea was to group similar functions into one Xtra - to get the same
syntax that we already used in V4RB, VCOM and so on.
Drawback of this - you need to reference it in any function that
is used it. I mean:

    on myFunction
        global Valentina

        //Now you can use it.
    end myFunction

I don't know any way to use global variables in lingo function
without referencing them with 'global' keyword. So this is
inconvenience.

As alternative you can always call its methods as
    Xtra("Valentina").Init(..).

Igor Gomon
e-mail: giv at tlc.kherson.ua