[ANN] V4MD_WIN 2.0 beta 15 uploaded

Sean Wilson snw at paradise.net.nz
Fri Sep 10 20:03:39 CDT 2004

> > Even better - all these xtras (and their methods) have entries under the
> > Scripting Xtras menu! Callooh callay!
>
>Yes, Igor have found my mistake why it did not show.
>Actually we can build and upload 1.10 with this fix.

That would be fabulous - I know there are other Director developers who
rely on this menu as a memory prompt for specific commands and for
syntax/parameter hints.

>So since you see Xtras, then you correctly have setup all and it works.
>Good.

Yes. I've spent most of the day working through the example files seeing
what's there to be learned from. I'm *very* impressed by what you've been
able to achieve! Congratulations.

While most of them work really well, there are some problems with a few of
the examples - perhaps you could ask Igor to revisit them:
1). SQL_way | Records_AddDeleteUpdate fails when you delete a record and
then try the last, first or iterate record commands. I think this is
because the example uses the API way of deleting a record (
gDb.table["person"].deleteRecord() ) instead of what perhaps should have
been gCursor.deleteRecord() - it works if I make this change to the source,
implying that mixing SQL and API approaches shouldn't be done. It would
seem the cursor instance has a "record" of its records and if one is
deleted via the API the cursor isn't "auto-updated" leading to errors when
iterating. Probably a known no-no, but worth over-emphasizing in the docs.
2). Both of the Method_create examples (API and SQL ways) fail as they seem
incomplete and appear to use an older syntax (perhaps from the previous beta).
3). SQL_way | Binding example doesn't appear to update the bound bitmap
cast member's picture when iterating records (the example could be improved
by adding this cast member to the stage so that - when this command works -
the user will see it change).

Also, it would be good *not* to add the dross from your CVS system into the
zip file :-) It might have been interesting poking around your repositories
but ultimately it's a waste of space.
Finally, why not think about pre-pending example names with the order they
should be worked through, from basic concepts to more advanced. For example:
SQL_way
         01 Table_CreateDrop
         05 Binding | 05 Pictures
Although I'm not sure what order these should be in, it seems to me it
would help ease in new users if the first example folder isn't -
accidentally - the most complicated concept!

I'm still working through the API_way | Link_ examples and won't be able to
get back to them now for a couple of days, unfortunately, but I've done
some tidying/rationalization on the files I've touched and would be happy
to pass them back if it would be useful?

Also, is there a reason a reference is stored to an un-instantiated xtra
(Valentina) instead of invoking its .new() method and then calling methods
on the instance? Or a reason these commands aren't "global" any longer? It
looks more like it's being treated as a static class and I've never seen an
xtra referred to like this.

Cheers,
-Sean.
(PS: I know you're already working on it, but a docs update would really
help getting to grips with what's now available).