V4RB2

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Fri Oct 22 14:23:09 CDT 2004

On 10/22/04 11:24 AM, "erne" <ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it> wrote:

>>> 4) Locale_Records example
>>> strings are returned always as UTF-8 even from UTF-16 database
>>> can't store UTF-16 strings to UTF-16 database
>>
>> They ARE stored in UTF16.
>> Just with RB we communicate via UTF8
>>
>> Yes, for now V4RB 2.0 beta expect from you UTF8 strings.
>> This is default of RB, right ?
>>

> this is default but RB can deal with strings of any encoding
> so what sense to set a DB.StorageEncoding to UTF16 if I must feed it with
> UTF8 strings and get back UTF8 from it anyway?

1) Right, just for now I have made only UTF8 recognition.

2) Erne, do NOT confuse

    a) Storing encoding -- this is how we store on disk
    b) strings between RB <-> V4RB, they can be other encoding.
        although for now UTF8 only

> It's cool for me since I intend to use UTF8 default
>
> but if I set a StorageEncoding prop to something then I expect to deal with
> it in that encoding, either input or output

NO!

You still can use UTF8. Valentina will convert to StorageEncoding if needed.

> e.g. this is expected behavior IMO:

> I have some vCard text from a file known to be UTF16
> read it in RB with encoding set to UTF16
> store it in an UTF16 Vale field

This can be done. And will be done

> retrieve it from DB
> Vale passes me an UTF16 string

Vale will return UTF8 on default.

Encoding of storing and encoding of I/O this is not the same.
May be we need some API to be able ask V4RB

    str = fld.GetString( "UTF16" )

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com