V4RB2

erne ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it
Fri Oct 22 10:24:59 CDT 2004

Hi Ruslan,

thanks for reply

on 21-10-2004 23:59, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:

>> 2) MacOS_Creator example:
>> Creator of .vdb file remains VALA even if set as MYAP
>> (btw why there's no icon for Vind files?)
>
> In fact for any file must not be icons.
> Icons is responsibility of YOUR app.

of course... finder uses icons from vApp for default VALA creator
and it's there that the Vind files icon is missing
not a big deal, just a curiosity

problem remains that changing DB.Creator does not affect the creator of the
.vdb file

>> 3) Locales and Collation properties
>> what is affected by Locales?
>
> Strings, indexes of strings,
>
>> maybe date and decimal separators?
>
> no
>
>> there's a list of acceptable values?
>
> ISO standard.
>
> en_EN, en_GB, ru_RU, de_DE, ...
>

>> 4) Locale_Records example
>> strings are returned always as UTF-8 even from UTF-16 database
>> can't store UTF-16 strings to UTF-16 database
>
> They ARE stored in UTF16.
> Just with RB we communicate via UTF8
>
> Yes, for now V4RB 2.0 beta expect from you UTF8 strings.
> This is default of RB, right ?

this is default but RB can deal with strings of any encoding
so what sense to set a DB.StorageEncoding to UTF16 if I must feed it with
UTF8 strings and get back UTF8 from it anyway?

It's cool for me since I intend to use UTF8 default

but if I set a StorageEncoding prop to something then I expect to deal with
it in that encoding, either input or output

e.g. this is expected behavior IMO:
I have some vCard text from a file known to be UTF16
read it in RB with encoding set to UTF16
store it in an UTF16 Vale field
retrieve it from DB
Vale passes me an UTF16 string
I write it back to vCard file