V4RB 2.0 b18 - uploaded

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Oct 9 00:15:31 CDT 2004

Hi All,

[NEW] b18 introduce to you the new example that demonstrate
    2 forms of new method

    Table.Sort( set, fld ) as VSet
    Table.Sort( set, it as VSortItem , ... ) as VSet

    Also added new small helper class VSortItem.

    This feature continue improvement of non-SQL API of V4RB.
    Now you can do searches and sorting using Sets.
    Actually now we have practically complete API for all general db tasks.

    Note, that I have found way implement VSortItem to support 3 forms
    of field specification: by name, by index, by reference.

[NEW] example/SQL/Table_Alter

    * demonstrate usage of SQL ALTER TABLE command.

    * in 2.0 this command have much more power.
        - you can rename table
        - you can rename field
        - you can change field type
        - you can change field length
        - add/drop constraints, ...
        - more

------------------
We add soon also Algorithm Global methods such as

    Union( t1 as Table, t2 as Table ) as Table
    Interset( t1 as Table, t2 as Table ) as Table
    Difference( t1 as Table, t2 as Table ) as Table

As you see this functions mirror the basic Relational Algebra operations,
But again we will be able do this without SQL.

--------------
Also will be added

    CreateSnapShoot( inTable ) as VTable

This function allow you easy create new table with the same records as
inTable.

The main magic will be if and when we can send as inTable some cursor.
Then we can build any cursor and COPY its records into new TMP or not tmp
table.

----------------
Also, if I am not mistake, we have implement in kernel such cool feature as

    db.Clone( newLocation )

It is similar probably to FileMaker's feature.

You can clone existed db and specify if new db should have
    - the same structure only
    - or also records

Robert, I think THIS FEATURE can be considered as a way to REPAIR record of
corrupted db. Agree?

I really hope that we already have implement it in 2.0
I will ask our developers tomorrow.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com