Null vs. Empty

jda jda at his.com
Sat Nov 13 19:32:21 CST 2004

>So standard SQL practice to look for empty or NULL strings is the following:
>
>    SELECT MyTextField
>    FROM MyTable
>    WHERE len(MyTextField) = 0 OR MyTextField is NULL
>
>You could just not allow NULLs for the field. Or make sure that
>every time a record is added that it be set to an empty string by
>default.
>
>Ruslan, in Valentina 2, can we remove the NULL flag from a Text field?

Thanks, Frank.

Actually, I used NULL instead of an empty string in V1.x (where I
think you could do that) because that way I saved 128 bytes (the size
of my segments) per empty text field -- since I have about 34 text
fields per record, and they are often empty, making them NULL instead
of an empty string saved a lot of space.

Is this still the case in V2, Ruslan? I mean, will an empty text
field still take up one segment and a NULL 0?

Jon