Advice please on example organization ?

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed May 26 20:29:30 CDT 2004

Hi All,

I want get advices on example organizations for 2.0 products.

The task is next:

- we have in e.g. V4RB, C++, Java, 3 ways to work with Valentina engines:

    1) SQL way. "CREATE TABLE", "INSERT INTO", DELETE WHERE, ... SELECT
    2) API way. Many commands work with API functions.
            SELECT we still do as SQL, but later work with Vcursor API.

    3) Classes way. It allow in nice OO way define structure of tables.
        in V4RB 2.0 we will introduce new Set classes and new Find()
        functions in Vtable class so you will be able do quite complex
        tasks with no SQL at all.

        I sure now many of you will understand why we was need that classes.
        Although this will work for LOCAL dbs only. At least now.

- in Director and other products we have only 2 first ways.

So, for V4RB from one side it is good idea do examples as

        Common
        SQL way
        API way
        Classes way.

If follow this way, then current example CreateDropTable
Must be splinted on 2 projects to show only SQL and only API ways.

>From one side this is good, because we get simpler examples,
And if developer want study SQL way, he will not see other "garbage".

>From other side, if we mix all 3 ways in one example, it is more easier
compare ways to see what is better for you.

I tend go by the first way: splinted isolated examples.
What you think?

------
Mixing ways in one project make it more complex, even with 2 ways as we have
now. When I will add third way, windows will be too big.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com