V4RB

jda jda at his.com
Thu Mar 11 08:14:39 CST 2004

>>  Or we need have special flag Default
>>  Or always UTF8
>
>I would say UTF-8 is great, but someone in Japan or so would eventually
>say UTF-16. But if we can set it in every select or as default at
>ValentinaOpen it would also be ok.
>What do the others think about it?

Since RB's "native" encoding now is UTF-8, I think it makes sense to
return it as that. I don't know why anyone would want to handle
UTF-16 while "in" the app since at this point it's not about storage,
UTF-8 handles Japanese just fine, and they would have to specifically
set the encoding of string literals and editfield text to UTF-16
whenver they used them. Even if they did (would anyone here want
that?) using a TextConverter to change the text encoding would be
easy.

Jon