2.0

Robert Brenstein rjb at robelko.com
Thu Mar 11 11:10:44 CST 2004

>  > To quote the relevant bits about Apple's most recent SEC filing:
>>
>>  * Net sales in the Americas totaled $924 million, a 25% increase over
>>  the year ago quarter
>>  * Net sales in Europe were $240 million, a 48% boost.
>>  * Sales in Japan totaled $157 million, a 14% increase.
>>
>>  So, Europe seems to have a healthy lead over Japan as far as
>>  Apple sales goes.
>>
>>  And with that, I will (hopefully) end this somewhat OT thread.
>>
>>  And on topic: even the partial list of new features and
>>  abilities looks great.
>
>Not to end yet -- that is very interesting, and certainly an interesting
>burst of activity in Europe. Apple's done a good job to discourage sales in
>Japan in recent years, from canceling Tokyo Mac Expo around Apple Japan to
>canning the president of Apple Japan.
>
>Supporting the Mac is a differentiator for Valentina, but Id never bet the
>farm on being a Mac only solution, especially with a forthcoming server
>solution.
>
>Best regards,
>

>Lynn Fredricks
>President
>Proactive International, LLC
>
>http://www.proactive-intl.com

One aspect that needs to be mentioned, and which skews all the
arguments, is that while Japan is a 2nd largest single-language
market, this language requires quite a bit of effort to support
natively, so not that many programs from small developers (like many
of Valentina developers are) are localized for Japanese. And that is
aside from Mac-Windows issues. And if we talk markets, Chinese seems
to be the rising star with potential to surpass Japan in future.

But the bottom line is that the markets for products from valentina
developers are likely to be somewhat different than markets for
valentina self.

Robert