Apple Japan (was Re: 2.0)

Lynn Fredricks fci at europa.com
Wed Mar 10 21:49:06 CST 2004

> On the other hand, they just opened a terrific Apple store in Ginza
> (Ginza, why Ginza?? name recognition? its the most expensive real
> estate in Japan if not the world.) I can imagine the Apple Japan
> president opposing this idea on the basis that it would cause bad
> relationships with other dealers. I really don't know how it is
> affecting sales overall as well as in the shops at places like
> Akihabara, but Japanese don't like that kind of in your face
> opposition.

Absolutely. I doubt that was the only reason why he may have been pushed
out. Apple Japan has always had a certain autonomy, but those days are gone,
that's for sure. The new Apple (the one powering the Apple Stores) seems to
be very effective -- its going to be interesting to see how its going to
change the Mac market, over the next few years. Its sad though that there is
no longer an annual show in Japan.

Best regards,

Lynn Fredricks
President