2.0

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Mar 8 22:30:17 CST 2004

Let's move this to Valentina beta list.

>> I work on on NUMERIC index,
>> And then I will need spend time on String index.
>> On TEXT indexed by words to split it on words using new tools of ICU.
>> Hopefully this is not hard.
>
> I hope so too, since text searching is the backbone of my app.
>

>> You say about UTF8 in db files, to save disk space?
>> Is this really MPORTNAT issue?
>
> Yes and no. My users are individuals (not companies), and they have
> to move databases around (home to work, to colleagues over the
> Internet, from computer to computer in schools, etc.). So size does
> become important when you're talking about 50 or more MB per database.

I see.

Does they compress dbs when move them?
If yes, I think UTF16 must have very good compression.

> It also affects speed. If I have to convert from UTF-8 (what RB uses)
> to UTF-16 every time I want to add a record, it really slows things
> down

Jon, in fact we will do this.

V4RB get string from RB in UTF8,
And it MUST convert it to UTF16 internally.
And may be on write down to disk convert into UTF8.

This is why it can be better keep db file always in UTF16 also.

>(for example, one record of mine has 34 fields, and users who
> import from the Internet may added 100's of records at once. This is
> a lot of conversion. Simply storing and retrieving the data as UTF-8
> means no overhead at that end. If you can index the data as UTF-8, it
> also means no overhead during a search. But you know more about the
> particulars of that.

Well, IBM guys say that UTF8 -> UTF16 conversion is quite fast.

> I think this is something that all RB users will want. MD users too,
> I imagine. I think only Revolution maintains UTF-16 data, but they're
> a small minority of developers I think (based upon what I see on the
> list).

Java also in UTF16 I think,
As well a MacOS X and Windows self.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com