Queries. Question to all

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Jun 30 14:27:58 CDT 2004

On 6/30/04 1:29 PM, "erne" <ernestogiannotta at tiscalinet.it> wrote:

> on 30-06-2004 11:50, Ruslan Zasukhin at sunshine at public.kherson.ua wrote:
>
>>> Furthermore, according to my experience, I can not imagine too many
>>> situations where I would need a case-sensitive search.
>>
>> Ok, but then please remind me, how in mySQL you will be able
>> IF YOU WANT provide case-sensetive seach?
>>
>> I have CC this to Valentina list.
>> For several years nobody have complain that Valentina do on default
>> case-sensetive search. What you think guys ?
>>
>> Should we change this in 2.0 ?
>> I think no.
>>

> FoxPro/dBase does case sensitive search
> but allow specify Upper(Field) in the index expression
>
> all in all very similar to build indexed BaseObject methods
> only indexes are separate from the DB structure

> while BaseObject methods are not
> and this is less flexible
> expecially when using static classes methods to build the DB

Hi Erne,

On the other hand when you use BaseObject method in the query, you

1) can be sure that all will work AS YOU have ask

2) there is no need for any kind of optimizer, which will get crazy trying
to choose the best index.

So with BaseObject methods you get ZERO time on optimization of query.

We have try to make CREATE INDEX like in foxpro.
But when index is standalone, when it just exist in db/table,
And is not linked to any field (like it is in BaseObject methods)
Then we MUST implement also some kind of analyzer to choose the best index.
I have decide that we will not spend time on this for now.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com