Another db size issue

jda jda at his.com
Sat Jul 31 12:35:34 CDT 2004

>  >
>>  newFormatDB.Create( f, 1, 1024 )
>>
>>  it works.
>>
>>  The problem is that the size of the empty db file is almost half a MB
>>  (it is about 200K in 1.x)! I distribute about 150 such ancillary
>>  files with my app, and I expect that to go up to 500 or more in the
>>  future. That adds up to a LOT of wasted space.
>>
>>  Any advice?
>
>Jon,
>
>I will check this point later.
>
>I am sure that EMPTY database must have the same size as 1.x

That may be (although that's not what I've seen with other
databases). But the point here is that I had to increase the segment
size to 1024 to avoid a VException -- that's what's increasing the db
size. Since the vast majority of the data I'm storing is well under
512 bytes, I can live with 512 segments if V2.0 will let me (1.x did,
as I said).

Jon