[FEATURE REQUEST] Unique server number on VServer

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Thu Jul 22 02:10:23 CDT 2004

On 7/22/04 12:59 AM, "Peter De Berdt" <peter.de.berdt at pandora.be> wrote:

> Yes, it simply the Ethernet card address, but in all programming
> languages, it's called MAC Address: Media Access Control Address.
>
> The only thing that can break it, is when there are two or more network
> interfaces available on the system (e.g. Ethernet and Airport). It's  a
> simple toolbox call, if I'm right. You can see it on MacOS X when you
> open up System Profiler and look under network (e.g.
> 00:30:65:12:44:5c).
>
> The IP address won't do, it's very easily changed with basic system
> knowledge.
>>
>> * and I'd like to get more detailed picture what you try to do.
>>> From first letter I have not understand good.
>> In steps...
>>     server here,
>>     my client app here,
>>     user try do not legal thing as...
>>     I want protect using this idea...
>>
> OK, let me explain:
>
> A year or two back, we used Rainbow dongles to protect our software
> from being installed on two servers. Due to various reasons (they
> didn't work on MacOS X, customers that switched systems needed a new
> dongle, the price went up), we decided to implement a new way of
> preventing our software to be installed on two systems:
>
> 1. Using the client's id (every customer has its own id in our
> database) and the most unique number you can obtain on a computer
> system, being the MAC Address (it can be spoofed and it has its flaws,
> but for decent protection it's about the only thing you can use), we
> create a license key (an encrypted string). This is done on a client,
> but it gets the MAC Address from the server (because each workstation
> has a different MAC Address of course).

Well, I think we can add this as FUNCTION for BaseObject method.
Then no need to change API and protocols.

But then you will need create BaseObject method in some table.
Hmm, not very logical.

Another way -- as Igor suggests:
    add it as property to Vserver class.

Or may be evene better. It seems we have not in Vserver Set/Get property
methods? Right? Then let's add it here.

Igor, I think ACE have algorithm ho do this.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com