[V4RB] Pointer to Self

Frank Schima frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com
Sat Dec 11 18:11:43 CST 2004

On Dec 11, 2004, at 4:22 PM, Ruslan Zasukhin wrote:

> On 12/12/04 1:15 AM, "Frank Schima" <frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hi Frank,
>
>> Is a pointer to Self supposed to work in V2?
>>
>> Here is the code that creates the field (same as in V1 basically):
>>
>>     ptrParent = new VObjectPtr("ParentPtr", self, EVFlag.fNullable)
>>
>> I'm having strange problems importing text to a table with a pointer
>> self. The SQL used was this:
>>
>>     SELECT Category, ParentPtr, Code FROM Category
>
> SQL used for what? For import ?

Yes. But the problem occurs before any import can occur (see below).

> But why you import something into ObjectPtr ?

The Category table is hierarchical. I am trying to import the
hierarchical structure from a text file. It all works fine in 1.11.

>> The error message mentioned ParentPtr pointing to an ambiguous field!
>
> Mmm, I have nothing understand.

I try to create the cursor for import with the SQL above. But it gives
an error - an exception actually. Here is the exact text:

Exception Message: Identifier "ParentPtr" is ambiguous. Found in
"(null)" and "(null)".
Exception Error Number: 591119

I hope that helps you understand because I don't either!

-Frank Schima