[V4RB] VVarchar and Language

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Wed Dec 8 22:16:33 CST 2004

On 12/8/04 10:05 PM, "Frank Schima" <frank-list3 at mindstarprods.com> wrote:

Hi Frank,

> I'm testing b30 and I'm seeing a new behavior in the VVarchar Class.
> When defining a Varchar field using the API method, I cannot specify a
> language anymore:
>
> So this used to work:
>     vDescription = New VVarChar("Description", 504, "ASCII", kV_Nullable)
>
> But now it only compiles when I remove the language parameter.
>     vDescription = New VVarChar("Description", 504, kV_Nullable)

It is removed

> The new docs say it should be an optional parameter like it always used
> to be.

I have point that only 50 pages are polished.
I think now I can upload document with 120 pages polished.

> How can I specify the language in the constructor?

Forget about it.

Instead of language for each field, now you you define once

    db.Locale = "en_US"
    db.StorageEncoding = "UTF-16"  // on default.

I still self do not see where Locale make affect.
Deal is that it seems Valentina do indexing, sorting and searching correctly
nevertheless of this parameter. It looks that it affect only some
Date/Time/Money operations in the ICU library (which we not use at least
now).

> Workaround is to set it afterwards, i.e:
> vDescription.Language = "ASCII"
>
> Related question:
> How would I specify the language if using SQL to create the table?
>
> CREATE TABLE myTable (Description Varchar(504))
>
> Final question:
> What is the default language when none is specified?

For UTF16 it practically does not mater.

Try just do nothing :-)
and see if this works for you.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com