[V4MD:TEST] Results

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Mon Aug 30 19:36:40 CDT 2004

On 8/30/04 6:26 PM, "Igor Gomon" <giv at tlc.kherson.ua> wrote:

> I've made next tests:
>
> (1 time unit is 1/60 second)
>
> -- first
> set startTime to the timer
> repeat with i = 0 to 100000
>   f1.getName2()                // Usual call of object's method
> end repeat
> set endTime to the timer
> alert "Time taken using child object " & (endTime - startTime)
> -- RESULT: 9
>
> -- second
> set startTime to the timer
> set f1Ref to VTable.getFieldRef(tableRef, "f1")
> repeat with i = 0 to 100000
>   f1.getName(f1Ref)    // Call of static (class) method. 'this' is passed
> as first parameter.
> end repeat
> set endTime to the timer
> alert "Time taken using object reference " & (endTime - startTime)
> -- RESULT: 9
>

> -- third
> set table1 to gDb.getTableXtra("Table1")
> set startTime to the timer
> repeat with i = 0 to 100000
>   // Using dot-syntax. Each time temporary VField Xtra is created
>   // and then destroyed.
>   table1.getFieldXtra("f1").getName2()
> end repeat
> set endTime to the timer
> -- RESULT: 230
>
> (In tests function getName() & getName2() does the same
> but getName() is static & getName2() not).
>
> So,
> I think that we have no strong reasons not to use child objects.
> What do you think?

Well, of course it is 20 times slower, but looks much much better and
logical.

Add one more test:

    fld = table1.getFieldXtra("f1").

    loop
    {
       fld.getName2()
    }

I think in this case we can get much better results!
The same is true for REALbasic for example.

It is common RULE:
    if move from loop something then loop will be faster.

So test and give us results.

Also why you use such names?

    getTableXtra() ?

This should be like in realbasic