Request for new fields (V4RB)

Ruslan Zasukhin sunshine at public.kherson.ua
Sat Aug 7 17:18:13 CDT 2004

On 8/7/04 4:22 PM, "Scott Steinman" <steinman at midsouth.rr.com> wrote:

Hi Scott,

> I've just returned from the world of Java to REALbasic. I'm ready to
> start a new project that could use Valentina.

It could be great if you could wait just a little and start with Valentina
2.0.

Or start right now with Valentina 1.x but in the nearest time switch to 2.0.

I recommend you go to our support page and subscribe to Valentina beta list.
You will be able then review V4RB 2.0 beta.
It have many new cool features.

> After refreshing my
> memory by reading the manuals, I realized that the REALbasic version of
> Valentina could use a couple of improvements:

> 1. Databases could contain movies. Rather than having the programmer
> need to convert a movie to a String to store it in a VBLOB (and convert
> it back upon retrieval), I'd like to have a specialized VMovie field
> type (as you have with VPicture) to V4RB that would handle the
> conversion for the programmer? To make it cross-platform, the internal
> representation could be QuickTime since it's available for both Mac and
> Windows.

Well, I see.

> 2. Why should VPictures be limited to PICT file format on the Mac and
> DIB on Windows when they are both stored with JPG compression in the
> database? Why not just make VPictures cross-platform by allowing the
> input and output of JPGs?

Igor have spend last 3 weeks to incredibly improve Vpicture field!
Especially for Director.

Subscribe to beta list, when I will see that,
I will forward today's Igor letter to beta list.

In short,

Now VBLOB and Vpicture have functions

    blob.LoadFile( path )
    blob.UnloadFile( path )

Also with Picture class you can simply READ and WRTIE an existed JPG, GIF,
TIFF as is. Without any compression on Valentina side.

---------
Next, yes, in the nearest time, I will improve VBLOB field in the V4RB to
work not with String only but with MemBuff.

--------
Scott, also I wonder, why you wonder about PICT/DIB.
When Valentina extract picture from db it MUST give to REALbasic or Director
a PICT/DIB.

REALbasic do not want to get from us JPG. You see?

How you image to self that Vpicture return TO YOU a jpg ?

Using VBLOB.LoadFile() you have no more easy way to store into db movies.
And you can extract ONE movie to disk to play it, then erase.

Yes, it will be more cool to have MOVIE field, which self establish stream
to Quicktime and load movie by small parts during playback.
We will not be able do this in Valentina 2.0. No time.

e-mail: ruslan at paradigmasoft.com