[SJHS-Swim] A note about Dieter

Andrea Burckhardt a.tom0318 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 10:35:09 CST 2012

Note from Coach Jon:

Like all of you I was heartbroken to hear of Dieter's passing.  I was only
fortunate enough to know Dieter for the three months I coached him for his
senior year swim season at Stonewall.  Although only knowing him for that
short time, Dieter had an impact on me, like he did for so many people, and
I am overcome with memories of Dieter.  Swimming and training every day
show us a lot of about a person's character and dedication, traits that
extend to far more than success in the pool.

My most vivid memory of Dieter is the last time I saw him race: 100 back at
Districts.  Dieter had told me all week that he was going to make
Regionals.  I had my doubts, but Dieter finished eighth with a best time.
What I remember most about the race though was his reaction.  When he saw
his time on the board he screamed and slammed his arms down on the water.
It was a reaction of complete and uncontrolled excitement.  For the rest of
my life I will remember his reaction to that swim; I smile every time.

More importantly, I remember Dieter being one of the hardest workers I have
ever met.  Dieter knew he was not blessed with a typical swimmer's size.
But that made him work harder.  As you all remember Dieter in your own way
this week, also remember the lessons we learned from him.  Things aren't
always easy, but dedicate yourself to something, and you will always
appreciate the results.

Share your memories about Dieter with each other this week, I know it
reminds me how lucky I was to know him.